BrandFiesta - a Social Web Directory & Blog
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BrandFiesta - a Social Web Directory & Blog

Free Advertising , Web Directory, Article Submissions , and Guest Blogging

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to quickly potty train a dog

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to quickly potty train a dog Empty How to quickly potty train a dog Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:37 pm

paidtoclickfan

paidtoclickfan

Pay Attention
One of the easiest ways to potty train a puppy is to simply pay attention and watch for signals. Make sure your puppy is always where you can see him. You may need to use baby gates or close doors to keep your puppy from wandering off and going potty in the house. When you notice the puppy sniffing around or if you see him start to squat, quickly scoop him up and take him outside.

After the puppy eats or drinks, take him outside to go potty within about 10 minutes. A puppy will always need to go to the potty shortly after eating or drinking. Control when the puppy eats, as well. He does not require a full bowl of food available at all times. Check with your vet or breeder regarding how much and how frequently your puppy should eat.

When you take the puppy outside after eating or drinking, do not use this time to play. Simply stand or sit off to the side and wait until he finally goes.
Consistency and Praise
If you are occupied and unable to keep an eye on him for extended periods, consider crate training your puppy. While it may feel like you are imprisoning him, puppies who are crate trained begin to appreciate the safety and security of their crate, as it is much like the dens their ancestors lived in.

Choose a crate that is large enough for the puppy to stand and turn around in; never use the crate as punishment, such as a "time out" corner. It should be a place where the puppy feels safe and comfortable. Take the puppy outside to go potty before putting him in his crate. He can be safely crated for three to four hours; puppies rarely use the crate as a potty and will learn to hold it while he is in the crate. Take him outside to potty as soon as you let him out of the crate.

Crate Training
Repetition and consistency are two key factors that will help your puppy learn to let you know he needs to go potty. Whenever you take the puppy outside to go potty, always take him through the same door and to the same area of your yard. This will help to train him to go to that door when he needs to go potty.

Consider using potty training pads, as well. These lined pads have a scent that attract puppies to go potty on them. Leave a clean potty training pad near the door that you want the puppy to use to alert you when he needs to go potty.

Every time the puppy goes potty or when you are waiting for him to go, use the word you want to associate with training him to go. For example, you might repeat, "Go potty, good boy! Good potty!" This will train him to understand what you want him to do, which is go potty in the designated spot.

Finally, it is crucial you praise your puppy every time he goes potty in the appropriate area. Even if the puppy started to go inside, carry him out, let him finish and praise him for his good potty training session. Dogs want to please their owners and will be encouraged to repeat the action that caused him to be loved on and praised.

Last edited by MokuYun on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Credit not given, not original content -http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/fastest-way-to-potty-train-a-puppy_834.html)

2How to quickly potty train a dog Empty Re: How to quickly potty train a dog Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:24 pm

RLFinNash

RLFinNash

Thanks for the wonderful article on how to potty train a puppy. I have a dog and she is getting old, so I am beginning to wonder what kind of a puppy that I will be getting when Doughnut passes away.

3How to quickly potty train a dog Empty Re: How to quickly potty train a dog Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:13 am

InfoBot

Awww, what type of dog is Donut, lol. Cute name. Do you have any pictures?

http://www.brandfiesta.com

4How to quickly potty train a dog Empty Re: How to quickly potty train a dog Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:46 am

RLFinNash

RLFinNash

I do not have any photos of Doughnut on my laptop. I have a couple of pictures of her under my facebook photos. I also do not know what kind of a dog that Doughnut is. She strayed into our front yard years ago without a collar on, so we did not have anyway of knowing how to contact her owners, so we decided to keep her. My 13 year old son named her Doughnut years ago, because her tail curls up over her back like a Doughnut. lol

5How to quickly potty train a dog Empty Re: How to quickly potty train a dog Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:31 am

thejoker

thejoker

LOL thats really funny.. Doughnut because the tail rolls up like one! Haha.. let me check the pics on your profile sometime Smile

6How to quickly potty train a dog Empty Re: How to quickly potty train a dog Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:29 am

mirazarafat

mirazarafat

Wow this is a very informative post

7How to quickly potty train a dog Empty Re: How to quickly potty train a dog Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:23 am

mirazarafat

mirazarafat

Very good post I live it. Thanks for the post.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]